Robert Tisserand summarizes: Many aromatherapy books and training courses list essential oils that are contraindicated for people with high blood pressure, such as Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Black Pepper, Pine and many others. A 1964 French book by Jean Valnet mentions Hyssop, Rosemary, Sage and Thyme oils as being hypertensive. However, a close examination of the original 1940s research reveals that, if anything, these essential oils reduce blood pressure. In other essential oils, the effects on vascular tone depend on whether they are ingested, rubbed on the skin, or inhaled. Ultimately, there is currently no compelling evidence that any essential oil is dangerous to use in hypertension. (Essential Oil Safety, 2013, page 657.)
Tisserand also notes: Many essential oils potentially lower blood pressure . . . However, there is no evidence that any essential oils exacerbate hypotension. (Essential Oil Safety, 2013, page 658.)
On page 237 of Aromatherapy for Health Professionals by Shirley and Leon Price, they write: "Hypotensors include Achillea millefolium [yarrow], Cananga odorata [ylang yang], Citrus limon [lemon], Lav. angustifolia [lavender], Melaleuca viridiflora [niaouli], Origanum majorana [sweet marjoram] and Rosmarinus officinalis [rosemary]. Rosemary is a peripheral vasodilator (Mills 1991), the camphor/predominant oil having 'a paradoxical action on the heart: stimulating it if failing, yet dilating the coronary circulation', thus echoing the opinion of Franchomme and Penoel (2001) that it is balancing for blood pressure - in low concentration for high blood pressure and high concentration for low blood pressure."
Oils/blends noted for LOW blood pressure (from Higley's Reference Guide for Essential Oils):
Article: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Blood Pressure Drugs...and How to Avoid Them
by William Campbell Douglass, MD
PubMed Article: The Effects of the Inhalation Method Using Essential Oils on Blood Pressure and Stress Responses of Clients with Essential Hypertension
Lavender, Ylang Ylang and Bergamot inhaled once daily for 4 weeks - The blood pressure, pulse, subjective stress, state anxiety and serum cortisol levels . . . were significantly statistically different.
Results suggest that the inhalation method using essential oils can be considered an effective nursing intervention that reduces phychological stress responses and serum cortisol levels, as well as the blood pressure of client with essential hypertension.
Ylang Ylang for High Blood Pressure by Ann Wooledge, RN, CCAP of Wingsets
"According to Jane Buckle's very comprehensive book, Clinical Aromatherapy, Essential Oils in Practice, Freund (1999) completed a non-published study specifically looking at blood pressure and Ylang-ylang. It was a controlled and well-done study that showed that the group being administered Cananga odorata (I don't know which grade at this point and that would be helpful) experienced a 50% greater drop in systolic and diastolic pressure than did the control group. The Cananga odorata group also had a 50% greater reduction in stress levels."
Blood Pressure Meds More Than Double Breast Cancer Risk
Garlic Beats Best-Selling Blood Pressure Drug In New Study
It is very difficult to structurally improve blood pressure with essential oils without significant changes in health habits such as smoking, drinking, stress and diet. Family history of heart/vessel disease is also a factor.
1. After I used CIRCULATION, LAVENDER and ENDURANCE for just a little while, my doctor cut my blood pressure medication in half. I apply just a drop or two of Circulation topically over my heart and on the pulse points on my wrists. I also put a drop or two of Lavender in the palm of my left hand and massage it with particular emphasis about an inch below the first knuckle of my ring finger (on my palm). I take the Endurance in capsules at least once a day to control my cholesterol. I also try to get a good 30-minute brisk walk in at least four times weekly – just enough to become a little breathless.
2. My brother got off his blood pressure medications by using CIRCULATION. At first he used it daily, morning and night, topically over his heart and on his wrists (pulse points). Now he keeps the bottle on his nightstand and only uses it about once a week because his blood pressure is totally under control.
3. Congestive heart failure and high blood pressure run on both sides of my family going back several generations. I’ve been hospitalized at 285/250. I knew I had to do something drastic or I wouldn’t’ live to see my 50th birthday! I began a simple exercise “program” where I take a brisk, 30-minute walk twice a day if possible. This is important: Before you walk, while you walk and after you walk, drink pure water (not Gatorade, tea, juice or anything else – just good, clean water. Just drink a few sips at a time, frequently. This helps keep your body hydrated and helps to flush out toxins. Don’t flood your system with glasses of water at a time and overwhelm you body. Your system can make the best use of the water when it gets 2-3 ounces frequently so that by day’s end you’ve consumed ½ your body weight in ounces every day. Exercise lowers bad cholesterol and that helps lower blood pressure. Exercise releases endorphins in the bloodstream, which can have an uplifting emotional effect.
I also paid much closer attention to my eating habits, which means I stopped eating processed foods and eat a lot more raw fruits and vegetables. Weight began to drop off of me and my cholesterol improved so much that my doctor doesn’t even mention it. My doctor reduced my medications in half after recording my blood pressure at 107/72, and I expect that I’ll soon be able to be medication free.
I applied a few drops of CIRCULATION topically over my heart and on my wrist pulses throughout the day. I also massaged LAVENDER on my left hand about an inch below the knuckle on my palm. This is the heart vitaflex point. These oils alone can drop blood pressure very rapidly.
4. My blood pressure shot up dangerously high after my last birth. I took CIRCULATION blend internally along with LAVENDER and was able to not only bring the blood pressure down, but able to manage it as well. I’m very impressed!
5. I suffer from congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. My friend suggested that I try CIRCULATION blend by just putting a few drops on my fingertips and rubbing them over my heart. I felt relief almost instantly. I am able to manage my blood pressure very well now when I consistently use this blend.
6. YLANG YLANG consistently controls my blood pressure. As an example, I took my BP and it was 146/90. I applied Ylang Ylang to my forearms. Thirty minutes later my BP was 110/60. I have to reapply every 3 hours, but this is working very well. - Virgil W.
7. HEO's MARJORAM is helping my SIL who had a heart attack a year ago. He also uses Hawthorne Berry Extract by Dr. Christopher. Both have been invaluable for him. He tried Ylang Ylang, and it helped, but he gets more sustained relief from the Marjoram. I would not limit myself to thinking that I will HAVE to take any medication the rest of my life. Ask the Lord to teach you HIS WAYS to heal. He is faithful. Hugs Ame
8. My husband went for a doctor's visit today and his blood pressure is so much better. Three months ago, he registered at 145/93 but he's been using some of the oils for various things- MYRRH and MYRTLE mostly. At his well check today, his BP had come down to 114/73! Nothing else has changed so I think it's safe to say the oils are helping with overall health! What a great report! :) - Laura
9. My new blood pressure numbers are: 129/69. Five fresh cloves of garlic a day and5 ounces of apple cider vinegar. Straight, no chaser... - Mark
10. I have used LAVENDER along with a low sodium diet ,and it has helped my pregnancy-related high blood pressure. In fact, my last appointment my blood pressure was in the normal range. I dilute the Lavender with fractionated Coconut oil and apply it to my wrists, the inside of my ankles and over my heart. i have also put it on the bottoms of my feet and on the vein in my neck when my blood pressure has spiked. This may be overkill, but it works. - Emily
11. I tried applying CIRCULATION neat on my mom, and she seemed to respond well to it (after we discovered her blood pressure was low that morning). We rechecked after an hour of Circulation application, and the blood pressure went up quite a bit into the normal range! Praise God! It was originally 98/58 and then rose to 115/65, much better. :) - Carolyn
12. My mom has had trouble with high blood pressure for years. Her normal lows were 140/75. Highs were 160-180/90! Sometimes even her prescription drugs wouldn't keep it down. She started using your YLANG YLANG, CIRCULATION and PALO SANTO, and her bp. has been around 120/65!! She applies the oils on her neck, at pulse points and bottom of feet (sometimes diluted and sometimes not) once or twice a day. - Brenda
13. I diffuse CIRCULATION at night and it has really helped my blood pressure. - Mitzi
14. On a whim one day my friend and I decided to test her blood pressure. Her systolic (top number of the BP reading) should have been approximately 120. Hers was 165! I don’t remember the diastolic number (bottom number). We decided to do an experiment. She applied diluted Circulation blend from a 10ml roll-on over her heart and on the sides of her neck. After 15 minutes we checked her BP again. Her systolic number had dropped to 140! While this is still too high, the fact that it had dropped 25 degrees in 15 minutes was quite the testimony for the CIRCULATION blend! - Sherri
15. I have been battling trying to get off my blood pressure meds after having pregnancy-induced hypertension. I know that to reduce this kind of medication, it has to be gradual weaning. My son is now 5 months old. I have been using CIRCULATION blend for over 2 months now, diluted on my wrist and heart. I was able to reduce my meds in half, and then it came to a stagnant point. I ordered Marjoram essential oil and started using it since yesterday. My numbers are so good that I didn't take my dose yesterday, and this morning I cut my meds in half again (so quarter dose), and it is reading very good. Marjoram smells so good, and I dilute it with 5 ml coconut oil and 5 drops (5%) in a roller bottle and have been applying every hour. I hope to get off my meds completely. - Anne
The choice of the process used in application of Heritage Essential Oils' products is the sole responsibility of the user.
Information and statements regarding Heritage Essential Oils' products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health condition or disease.
We do not make any therapeutic claims for any Dietary Supplements in accordance with the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act and FDA regulations.
Heritage Essential Oils and any of its directors, employees, representatives or those involved in blending and bottling the oils will not be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of their products. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, income or profit and claims of third parties. We disclaim any liability if the user uses or prescribes any remedy or essential oil, natural or otherwise, for him/herself or another. Please consult a licensed healthcare professional should a need be indicated.