Plant Origin: Oman, wild crafted
Method: Steam distilled resin tears
octyl acetate 4.01%
There are some that believe that Frankincense Carteri is superior to the Frereana, but that is is not what we've personally experienced. As an example, one customer had numerous "skin growths that 'could be cancer'" on her body. She ordered Carteri, and I asked her if she'd like to do an experiment for us. I sent along a bottle of Frereana also, and she agreed to apply Carteri to the growths on one side of her body and the Frereana to the growths on the other side. She later reported that the Frereana was more effective.
Some argue that Frankincense frereana only originates in Somalia, but Tisserand and Tony Burfield among others note that is also comes from Oman.
Immunologist Mahmoud Suhail wrote: "Cancer starts when the DNA code within the cell's nucleus becomes corrupted. It seems Frankincense has a re-set function. It can tell the cell what the right DNA code should be. Frankincense separates the 'brain' of the cancerous cell - the nucleus - from the 'body' - the cytoplasm, and closes down the nucleus to stop it reproducing corrupted DNA codes."
Boswellia frereana(frankincense) suppresses cytokine-induced matrix metalloproteinase expression and production of pro-inflammatory molecules in articular cartilage.
"We have demonstrated that B. frereana prevents collagen degradation, and inhibits the production of pro-inflammatory mediators and MMPs. Due to its efficacy we propose that B. frereana should be examined further as a potential therapeutic agent for treating inflammatory symptoms associated with arthritis."
Properties and Usage:
Expectorant, antitumoral, immunostimulant, and antidepressant.
“Used to treat every conceivable ill known to man,” Frankincense is said to have been valued more than gold during ancient times, and only those with great wealth and abundance possessed it.
Researchers today have discovered that frankincense is high in sesquiterpenes, which helps stimulate the limbic system of the brain (the center of emotions) as well as the hypothalamus, pineal and pituitary glands. The hypothalamus is the master gland of the human body, controlling the release of many hormones including thyroid and growth hormone. Frankincense is now being researched and used therapeutically in European hospitals and is being investigated for its ability to improve human growth hormone production.
The sesquiterpenes in Frankincense, enable it to go beyond the blood brain barrier. It increases the activity of leukocytes in defense of the body against infection.
Frankincense has helped with asthma, depression, and ulcers. High in sesquiterpenes, it is stimulating and elevating to the mind and helps in overcoming stress and despair, as well as supporting the immune system.
Frankincense may also help with allergies, bites (insect and snake), anxiety, bronchitis, cancer, respiratory infections, diphtheria, skin issues, headaches, hemorrhaging, herpes, high blood pressure, inflammation, stress, tonsillitis, typhoid, and warts.
Kurt Schnaubelt, Ph.D wrote in The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils (p. 133) that 1 drop in water may help with immuno deficiency and depression.
Topical: Apply topically on temples, base of neck, crown of head or on the thumbs and big toes, which correspond to the brain.
Inhalation: Diffuse (undiluted)
Internal: May be added to food or water as a dietary supplement.
Frequency: Approximately 147 MHz.
1. I suffered severe allergies and asthma for many years before I married and had children. After having children, it became more and more difficult to cope because of all the responsibility I carried. During certain seasons I had to wear a mask and basically stayed indoors all the time to try and avoid asthma attacks. When my husband suffered a heat stroke, a friend suggested that we diffuse Frankincense essential oil. My husband had been completely incapacitated by his heat stroke, but after breathing Frankincense overnight he improved remarkably. We continued to diffuse Frankincense weeks and as my husband improved, I realized that I wasn’t experiencing allergy symptoms or asthma. I feel like the Lord used Frankincense to heal both of us. – L.B.
2. For over 30 years, I had large fibrocystic breast lumps that were very painful. At some point in my journey to find help, I realized that I shouldn't be using deodorants with aluminum. When I heard about some research regarding Frankincense and tumors, I was hopeful and gave it a try. I mixed about 40 drops of Frankincense with 4 oz. pure apricot oil and applied this mixture under my arms as often as I could. Every night before going to bed I applied 5 drops each of Frankincense and Lavender to both breasts. Less than a month later, all my fibroid lumps and the pain and tenderness associated with them were completely gone and they have not returned! - Anne
3. I loved the Frankincense. We got it for wart removal and it worked, and we’ve only been using it for less than 6 weeks!!!! No surgery needed for about a dozen planters warts on my 15-year-old’s foot. Praise God. We used the Frankincense at night. I poured a little oil into the cap, used a Q-tip and applied it directly to the warts. My son then put socks on and went to bed. We saw the warts getting smaller after about 10 days of use. He had 4 separate warts on one foot and a cluster of them (6+) on his heel of the same foot. He also had a big one on one of his thumbs. All but the clusters and the big one are gone, and those are almost gone. - C.C.
4. I suffered 3 long days from horrible symptoms of vertigo. I couldn't sleep, felt pain, dizziness and so on. My medication just made it worse, so I decided to ask my neighbor about a natural alternative. She consulted your website and then told me to apply Helichrysum Blend oil on a small cotton ball, place it into the ear canal and to sleep with it in my ear. I also applied Frankincense oil around each ear. The next morning I woke up a new person. After three days, I'd finally slept well the whole night. The whole vertigo issue had vanished. I did the treatment one more night just to be sure it was gone for good (not to mention that I love the aroma of Frankincense and the Helichrysum Blend!). It's been over two weeks and not a sign of vertigo as resurfaced.
5. My 16 month old just came down with Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. He has a blistery rash on his hands, feet, around the mouth, in the mouth/throat and on his diaper area. I was looking on your website to see what would be good for his skin, but as I needed it today, I decided to try Frankincense since I had it and it seems good for skin issues. I put some on one hand and his upper lip/nose area before his nap. I was excited to see that after his nap those areas were noticeably less red! I just mixed it in with some olive oil to put it over a larger part of his body and hope to see that same results. Praise the Lord! - J.C.
6. I used Frankincense on our baby who got Hand, Foot and Mouth disease. To test the Frankincense, I put it on our baby full strength, and when I saw improvement with that, I diluted it equally with a carrier oil and put it in the roller ball container you sent. I applied it everywhere the rash was. The worst was his diaper area (open, bleeding blisters), and it helped tremendously. I put it on pretty much his whole body at every diaper change. Because of his rash, I was changing him every 1.5-2 hours and letting him go without a diaper when I could because the elastic in the diapers irritated him. I just put him in a onesie.
I took him to our MD the 3rd day into the rash because he started getting a secondary, lacy raised rash that completely covered his legs, stomach, back and arms in addition to the blisters on hand, foot, around mouth, in his throat and diaper area. It was even in his ears and belly button. The Dr. said it was a severe case of HFM and to expect another week of it and to treat it with Benydryl and Tylenol. He has never had either of those medicines, and I didn't want to even try them so I went home and started using the oil.
That night there was a prayer meeting, and they prayed for him. He slept through the night comfortably, which was a wonderful blessing because nights were when he was most uncomfortable. I kept up with the oils. The lacy rash never became blisters, it just faded away, and the blisters scabbed over by the 2nd day, and he was back eating the night of the 2nd day. So, two days from the height of it, not a week like the Dr. predicted, he was much better.
His skin is still healing and peeling fairly deeply, and I am continuing to put the oil on it, but it is not uncomfortable at all for him. The skin underneath looks nice and healthy. I considered putting a bit of the oil someway in his mouth because his throat was very uncomfortable, but wasn't settled on it so I didn't. I did a couple other things for him as well as the oil: 1) I gave him a bath with baking soda or oatmeal bath stuff (like Aveeno) in it twice a day, and then I applied the oil and let him go without his diaper for a while. 2) He only ate soft food and very little- eggs and applesauce, and his favorite was a smoothie with raw goat milk, banana and pear frozen in popsicle molds for him. The smoothie seemed to soothe his throat. I wish I had taken a picture of him every day because each day was a dramatic, noticeable improvement.
I will pass on some of what I learned about the disease. From what I've read, the virus is alive in their body for weeks after, and extra carefulness in washing up after changing their diaper should be followed. The most contagious part is the fluid filled blisters, and it is mostly transmitted by direct touch, not the air. I kept him home until all the blisters had scabbed over. Most kids over 5 won't get it and hardly any over age 10. Our daughter is six, and she had maybe 10 blisters total on only her hands and feet, and they didn't even bother her. She didn't even seem sick at all. I hope this helps- it is uncomfortable, but short lived, and I really feel the Frankincense and prayer was instrumental in his quick recovery. - Jody
7. We shared some Frankincense oil with a friend of ours whose daughter battles having plantar warts on her hands. It cleared the plantar warts up completely. Our friends are still "borrowing" the oil, and have asked us to tell them when we need it back. :-) - Melissa
8. I used Frankincense on a precancerous spot, and it flaked off. Thanks. - Roberta
9. I am using Frankincense for my seizures and believe that t is helping. I put some over my heart when I feel the tightness in my throat and chest, and it loosens up the spasms. I ordered a 30ml bottle and I am experimenting by putting it on topically, behind the ears and then one drop on the tongue held to the roof of my mouth to reach my brain faster. Magnesium oil has helped me quite a bit as well, and I have read about the low carb diets really helping some. I do much better with few grains, good protein and coconut oil soothes my brain and gives me energy. - A.D.
10. Our son has seizures. We have avoided all pharmaceutical medications because of harmful effects. We give him a very good B-Complex liquid and an excellent Multi-Vitamin/Mineral supplement. This helped for quite some time, and then seizure activity began once again. We decided to try Bones and Joints on the top of his head. It worked for some time, but then seizures began once more. Next, we decided to try Frankincense. Along with everything else, we apply Frankincense to the back of his neck and temples. Since we started using Frankincense, he has not had a seizure.
11. I used Frankincense on a mole; it took a while (probably because of my inconsistency), but it eventually dried up and came of layer by layer.
12. I had a very large, expanding mole on my head. I applied Frankincense on it daily for about 2 weeks. The mole changed color, got raised edges and then fell off. There is not a sign of that mole now - no evidence of it. I'm amazed at how powerful yet gentle these oils are!
13. I had a few really bad plantar warts on my foot that I've been struggling with for almost 10 years. I tried everything short of surgery - over the counter medicines, dermatologist freezing them, apple cider vinegar, duct tape - everything! Nothing worked. I've been planning to hike a few sections (couple hundred miles) of the Pacific Crest Trail, so I knew I had to do something. After looking at your resources, I started putting Frankincense on my foot every night - my foot miraculously was healed in a month!! I just finished my hike - one of the old spots started hurting during the hike, but it only took one or two applications of the frankincense to clear it up. Thank you for all you do!! - Kelly
14. I had a skin tag on my cheek that was not terribly bothersome, but I could see it when I looked down, and I did wish it was not there. I applied Frankincense undiluted to it occasionally when I thought about it, and I also used Face Nourishment Wrinkle Ease occasionally. I didn't see any change it in, and yet one day as I brushed my hand across my face, it just fell off. There was not a sign that it had ever been there! - Linda
15. I know of someone who had serious cancer and took 25 drops of Frankincense and 15 drops of Orange each morning and night, and after 3 months his tests were extremely impressive to the point that the doctor thought the original diagnosis and baseline testing must have been wrong. Sounds like something is working!! - Rhonda
16. I ordered your Frankincense oil to treat my 4-year-old daughter's warts. In just a few days, they were almost gone! I couldn't believe it- after years of trying to get rid of them. - Gentry
17. Your oils are very pure and good. Frankincense took the whole fellowship through a round of flu, and no one, including my 86-year-old mother had the bad effects of the flu and recovered in a few days. We used Bacteria Top Gun also, as this flu came with a very bad sore throat. - T.R. from Sri Lanka
18. Frankincense is what I use for warts, moles or pre-cancerous type spots. After applying it to my face a few times I noticed it had lightened some age spots...bonus. =] So, now I add a drop to coconut oil and apply it to my face. Less age spots and lighter freckles too. =] - Kim B.
19. I do the same thing Kim mentioned (#18), and I am finding that age spots are fading and the pre-cancerous moles do not seem to develop. A larger "rough" mole is getting smaller. I am still waiting to see if teh skin tags fall off. - Robin
20. Used Frankincense on a large swelling on my dog that the vet treated several times unsuccessfully. I used it topically and offered it on my hand for the dog to lick. It began to quickly go down, draining has stopped and he is back to normal. - Sunshine
21. I just wanted to update a post I wrote nearly a month ago... I have been applying Frankincense and Copaiba oils to a sebaceous cyst on my back, and within two weeks the size had reduced. It's now less than half the size it was, and when it's gone completely or nearly gone, I hope to post pictures. I took "before" photos and am eager to take some "after" photos! These oils really work!! :) - Joanne
22. I've been applying Frankincense neat to the inflamed mole about every hour since last night, and today it's 50% less red, swollen and hot. The pain is COMPLETELY gone and it looks and feels more normal. I'll keep applying the oil over the next few days and see how it does. My hubby started using it last night on skin tags and said they felt good, almost tingly! (Not "hot" but good tingly.) - Vickilynn
23. I must share a praise! My husband has been using Frankincense somewhat relunctantly for his skin tags. It's been more than a month, and he said several time that it wasn't really working. Yesterday he tells me that 99% of his skin tags are 99% gone (didn't fall off, just kind of 'melted'), so he started using the Frankincense on other issues such as his brown raised age spots and even on other things he's had problems with, and he's already seeing results! - V. H.
24. Frankincense neat (undiluted) is effective for hemorrhoids. - V. L.
25. The Frankincense is doing amazing things for the "strange something" my husband picked up on his lower legs/ankles during his year in Iraq during 2009. For four years, one primary care doctor, two different dermatologists, several tests, and all we know is what this creeping crud is NOT. In addition to several "Z-Packs" he as taken a super-powered antibiotic treatment that rivaled his treatment for Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. He has also applied over $1000.00 in salves and creams to the lesions. Then we try a simple 10ml roll-on applicator filled with 1/3 Frankincense EO and 2/3 grapeseed oil applied 2x daily (morning and night and after bathing), and the lesions are healing! He is going to make an appointment with the VA Hospital in Jan. 2014 in hopes of a proper diagnosis, as they are more up to date on the issues the soldiers are bringing back from the dessert, but until then he will continue to "Roll-On"! Did I say THANKS already?
I mixed the Frankincense in a 10mm roll-on applicator: 1/3 Frankincense and 2/3 Grapeseed oil. He rolled the Frankincense oil mix directly onto the lesions on his shins and calves in the morning and at night before bed. If he worked out and showered during the day he would reapply after showering. These lesions are typically where his tube socks/crew socks would cover his calves/shins. The best unofficial educated guess by the last dermatologist left stumped was something in his blood as he cannot wear a watch either due to these lesions developing under the watch and watch band. - Mary
26. Overnight my mother had a mole pop up on her shoulder. She remembers she got pricked by something when loading a bale of hay and thought this may have been how it all started. Anyway, the mole grew and looked grotesque. We ordered frankincense and she began applying up to 3x per day. It started scabbing over and stopped growing but looked even more grotesque. It stayed looking this way for several weeks. She was continuing with the frankincense but thought "maybe this is all it's gonna do". And then, about 2 days later she went to apply the EO and it was gone. I know it sounds gross, but it had fallen off as she took off the bandaid. It is now new fresh flesh with no growth. All signs of the mole are gone! It had been gone for several weeks now. Yea!! - Valerie
27. My husband had a growth just seem to pop up in the crease at the corner of his eye. He applied Frankincense 2x a day, and it disappeared in a couple weeks. What a wonderful oil! - Sally
28.The other day I had a migraine and wondered what I had that I could use for it. I used a drop of Palo Santo and Frankincense with some Jojoba oil and applied it on my temples. It took a little time, but was gone!! - Bobbie
29. I put Frankincense on my shoulder and neck when stressed and aching then put one of those back buddies in the microwave and heat a little for a minute, and it's like heaven so relaxing. And I have so-o many oils and relaxing blends but Frankincense is my GO TO oil! - Leslie
30.My husband had a suspicious spot on his arm (he has never been diagnosed w/skin cancer but others in his family have). He has been applying Frankincense neat on the spot on his arm for a couple of weeks, and it has all but disappeared. He has a hard time finding it now to apply each day. He has been applying 2 times a day but has now cut back to one. - Becky
31. I've been struggling with my asthma lately. Lung Healing helps but wasn't completely doing the trick. Then I remembered I still had a little Frankincense and pow! I've been doing.better. I will get some more as soon as I can! - Marya
32. I love Heritage Frankincense. It's one of my favorite oils! - Leslie
33. I have been using Frankincense in the roller bottle diluted with coconut oil. I apply it to the inside of my thighs, and I have noticed a big difference in my asthma. I had allergies and asthma as a child that I outgrew, but about a year and a half ago I got really sick with a high fever, and it took a long time for me to get over it. Since that time I have been having asthma issues. I started using Lavender and Myrtle in the nasal inhaler, which really helped me after asthma symptoms started. But since I started with the Frankincense a few weeks ago, I have had no asthma problems! - Becky
34. A drop of Frankincense each day on the baby's umbilical stump is working MUCH better than alcohol ever did for our other babies. - Christy
Frankincense is noted to be non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing.
Avoid eye contact. In case of accidental contact, put a few drops of any pure vegetable oil in the eye. Water will not adequately dilute the oil. We’ve never known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your doctor if necessary.
Tisserand, Robert, Essential Oil Safety, 2nd Edition 2014, page 289.