Psoriasis is a common, non-infectious, some believe inherited, skin disorder which occurs when the production rate of new skin cells is accelerated. The result is raised patches of pink, thick, new skin covered with flakes of dead skin. This acceleration seems to occur in connection with stress, emotional problems, infections or other illnesses. It commonly occurs on elbows, chest, knees and scalp. The reddish lesions are slightly raised and covered with silver-white scales, and the coverage can range from a single patch to covering the entire body. The rash is better when exposed to sunlight and may recur over a period of years.
Medical science has not yet solved the mystery of psoriasis nor has science identified what causes it. The main treatment doctors are able to offer for psoriasis is the application of cortisone-based products. Although these relieve symptoms for periods of time, side-effects normally include damaged skin and patients are faced with using cortisone for the rest of their lives. Because of this, it may be to your advantage to never use cortisone products in the first place. If you are already using cortisone products, you may feel to gradually decrease the use of cortisone (to avoid the reaction which can occur if the cortisone is stopped suddenly) and then to continue treatment with essential oils.
Psoriasis is a stubborn and difficult problem to treat. It requires patience, long-term treatment and commitment to get lasting results. The whole picture needs to be considered (stress management, detox liver, no exposure to chemicals of any kind and so on).
Essential oils and Carrier oils for Psoriasis
Geranium Rose essential oil
Helichrysum essential oil (or the blend)
Tea Tree essential oil
Lavender essential oil
Sandalwoods essential oil
Roman Chamomile essential oil
Rose essential oil
Patchouli essential oil
Marigold Flower essential oil (Calendula)
Borage Seed oil
Evening Primrose oil
Apricot Kernel oil
Vitamin E oil
Vitamin A Palmitate
Essential oils are very balancing to the body. There are also essential oils noted for their ability to help reduce and control stress and anxiety.
The Essential Oil Desk Reference suggests a Psoriasis blend with equal amounts of:
Apply neat (undiluted) twice daily. 6-10 drops may be added to 1 tesapoon of natural skin lotion for easier application. This blend can be taken internally if desired.
Also, consider using Heritage Essential Oils' TENDER SKIN MOISTURIZING SPRAY.
Factors to consider that have been known to improve psoriasis:
- Vegetarian diet
- Manage the stress in your life
- Detoxify (Consider using Liver/Gallbladder essential oil blend)
- Use only pure deodorants, soaps, cleaners and products
- If you wouldn't feel safe ingesting a product, don't put it on your skin
- No petrochemical products including Vaseline
- Take homeopathic Silica - this has been known to help heal Psoriasis
- Don't consume alcohol
- Take a dietary essential omegas
- Check acidic pH in the body
Psoriasis thrives on acidity. The more acid in the blood and skin, the less therapeutic effect the oils will have. People who have a negative reaction to essential oils are usually highly acidic.
To counteract excess acidity in the body, take a bath with 5 tablespoons of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) up to 3 times weekly. You may want to add 5 drops Tea Tree and 5 drops Lavender essential oils to the baking soda, and then add this mixture to your bath water.
Test your acidity level daily for a week or so to establish what your average pH is. PH strips can usually be found at a local health food store. If your urine is under +7, you are too acidic.
Simply adding an essential oil such as Tangerine to each glass of water you drink will help balance your pH. We suggest that you drink 1/2 body weight in ounce of water daily. Measure out the proper, daily amount of water into glass (many people find that using quart jars works great) and add 3 drops of a citrus oil (our favorite is Tangerine) to each quart. By measuring it out, you can visually see if you are consuming the minimum amount of water needed to stay hydrated. Any less than this amount and your body suffers dehydration to some extent. You do need to stir or shake to keep the oil dispersed (it tends to float). The water is very appealing, and the health benefits are innumerable. Avoid all sodas, which leach from you and don't add a thing to help improve your health.
Water Cure Information
1. For my chronic psoriasis I used 1/4 oz of your GOLDEN SALVE with 3-4 drops of PAIN-X added. I heated the salve up by wrapping a heating pad around it like you suggested, and once it was liquid I added the essential oils. I stirred the oil in with a toothpick to mix. I applied the salve to affected skin at least twice daily. This has also worked great for at least 3 of my skeptical friends who have tried it.
2. I tried the remedy mentioned in the testimony where the person used your GOLDEN SALVE with PAIN-X added, and it brought me much relief. I use it liberally (that's why I purchased the larger size!), and make sure to apply when I go to bed and when I wake up. I have also become very conscious about keeping my body alkalized - I think the psoriasis is caused (or at least greatly aggravated) by an acidic body. Restricting grains and eliminating sugars is a big factor for me also.
3. I've suffered with terrible psoriasis for over 30 years but have finally found relief with Sandalwoods applied undiluted directly on affected areas of my skin. I also add Sandalwoods to my bath water. My skin is clearer than I can remember it ever being, and I smell absolutely divine :-).
4. I first noticed the itchy psoriasis rash when I graduated from high school. I had been raised to think "naturally," so I did some research and decided to try LAVENDER, BERGAMOT and TEA TREE essential oils. I blended these up and applied them directly to my rash at least every night, and more as I felt led to. I still have some light pink spots, but all the raised, flaky lesions are gone for good.
5. I use your CLEANSING for my psoriasis issues, and for the most part, it just vanishes.
6. We used your PSORIASIS blend for my son who has the issue with the flaking in his eyebrows. We pray and apply it directly to the area twice a day. From the first application there has been no more itching or flaking! We are amazed. He comes to me twice a day asking for it. That is amazing for an autistic young man.
The choice of the process used in application of Heritage Essential Oils' products is the sole responsibility of the user.
Information and statements regarding Heritage Essential Oils' products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health condition or disease.
We do not make any therapeutic claims for any Dietary Supplements in accordance with the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act and FDA regulations.
Heritage Essential Oils and any of its directors, employees, representatives or those involved in blending and bottling the oils will not be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of their products. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, income or profit and claims of third parties. We disclaim any liability if the user uses or prescribes any remedy or essential oil, natural or otherwise, for him/herself or another. Please consult a licensed healthcare professional should a need be indicated.