Psoriasis is a common, non-infectious, some believe inherited, skin disorder which occurs when the production rate of new skin cells is accelerated. The result is raised patches of pink, thick, new skin covered with flakes of dead skin. This acceleration seems to occur in connection with stress, emotional problems, infections or other illnesses. It commonly occurs on elbows, chest, knees and scalp. The reddish lesions are slightly raised and covered with silver-white scales, and the coverage can range from a single patch to covering the entire body. The rash is better when exposed to sunlight and may recur over a period of years.
Medical science has not yet solved the mystery of psoriasis nor has science identified what causes it. The main treatment doctors are able to offer for psoriasis is the application of cortisone-based products. Although these relieve symptoms for periods of time, side-effects normally include damaged skin and patients are faced with using cortisone for the rest of their lives. Because of this, it may be to your advantage to never use cortisone products in the first place. If you are already using cortisone products, you may feel to gradually decrease the use of cortisone (to avoid the reaction which can occur if the cortisone is stopped suddenly) and then to continue treatment with essential oils.
Psoriasis is a stubborn and difficult problem to treat. It requires patience, long-term treatment and commitment to get lasting results. The whole picture needs to be considered (stress management, detox liver, no exposure to chemicals of any kind and so on).
Essential oils and Carrier oils for Psoriasis
Bergamot essential oil
Cajeput essential oil
Carrot Seed essential oil
Geranium Rose essential oil
German Chamomile essential oil
Helichrysum essential oil (or the blend)
Juniperberry essential oil
Tea Tree essential oil
Lavender essential oil
Marigold essential oil
Patchouli essential oil
Sandalwoods essential oil
Roman Chamomile essential oil
Rose essential oil
Yarrow essential oil
Borage Seed oil
Evening Primrose oil
Apricot Kernel oil
Vitamin E oil
Vitamin A Palmitate
Essential oils are very balancing to the body. There are also essential oils noted for their ability to help reduce and control stress and anxiety.
The Essential Oil Desk Reference suggests a Psoriasis blend with equal amounts of:
HEO's DermaSooth minus the Tea Tree, which can be added if felt necessary. We suggest DermaSoothe spray. The EODR suggests to apply this blend neat (undiluted) twice daily. 6-10 drops may be added to 1 tesapoon of natural skin lotion for easier application.
Also, consider using Heritage Essential Oils' TENDER SKIN MOISTURIZING SPRAY.
Factors to consider that have been known to improve psoriasis:
- Vegetarian diet
- Manage the stress in your life
- Detoxify (Consider using Liver/Gallbladder essential oil blend)
- Use only pure deodorants, soaps, cleaners and products
- If you wouldn't feel safe ingesting a product, don't put it on your skin
- No petrochemical products including Vaseline
- Take homeopathic Silica - this has been known to help heal Psoriasis
- Don't consume alcohol
- Take a dietary essential omegas
- Check acidic pH in the body
Psoriasis thrives on acidity. The more acid in the blood and skin, the less therapeutic effect the oils will have. People who have a negative reaction to essential oils are usually highly acidic.
To counteract excess acidity in the body, take a bath with 5 tablespoons of Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) up to 3 times weekly. You may want to add 5 drops Tea Tree and 5 drops Lavender essential oils to the baking soda, and then add this mixture to your bath water.
Test your acidity level daily for a week or so to establish what your average pH is. PH strips can usually be found at a local health food store. If your urine is under +7, you are too acidic.
Simply adding an essential oil such as Tangerine to each glass of water you drink will help balance your pH. We suggest that you drink 1/2 body weight in ounce of water daily. Measure out the proper, daily amount of water into glass (many people find that using quart jars works great) and add 3 drops of a citrus oil (our favorite is Tangerine) to each quart. By measuring it out, you can visually see if you are consuming the minimum amount of water needed to stay hydrated. Any less than this amount and your body suffers dehydration to some extent. You do need to stir or shake to keep the oil dispersed (it tends to float). The water is very appealing, and the health benefits are innumerable. Avoid all sodas, which leach from you and don't add a thing to help improve your health.
Water Cure Information
Tamanu oil is typically harvested on the small island of Vanuatu. The Fiji islanders call the oil "dolno" meaning "no pain" and is traditionally used topically for skin issues, burns, diabetic sores, diaper rash, neuralgia, psoriasis, rheumatism, shingles. In the 1920s it's told that a nun used it to successfully treat symptoms of leprosy including inflammation of nerves (leprous neuritis).
Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium)is an extact from the back of the Oregon grape that researchers have shown to inhibits keratinocyte (abnormal skin cell) growth.
Fumaric Acid, taken orally, has been shown to effectively help psoriasis symptoms. Fumaric Acid by Vitamin Research Products is said to be a good choice. Type "fumeric acid" into the search box. A series of helpful articles is found under the heading "Research Center."
Flax Seed Oil is reported to produce noticeable results when taken 2-4 tablespoons internally.
Chlorine seems to aggravete psoriasis, so removing chlorine both from drinking and shower water may help.
1. For my chronic psoriasis I used 1/4 oz of your GOLDEN SALVE with 3-4 drops of PAIN-X added. I heated the salve up by wrapping a heating pad around it like you suggested, and once it was liquid I added the essential oils. I stirred the oil in with a toothpick to mix. I applied the salve to affected skin at least twice daily. This has also worked great for at least 3 of my skeptical friends who have tried it.
2. I tried the remedy mentioned in the testimony where the person used your GOLDEN SALVE with PAIN-X added, and it brought me much relief. I use it liberally (that's why I purchased the larger size!), and make sure to apply when I go to bed and when I wake up. I have also become very conscious about keeping my body alkalized - I think the psoriasis is caused (or at least greatly aggravated) by an acidic body. Restricting grains and eliminating sugars is a big factor for me also.
3. I've suffered with terrible psoriasis for over 30 years but have finally found relief with Sandalwoods applied undiluted directly on affected areas of my skin. I also add Sandalwoods to my bath water. My skin is clearer than I can remember it ever being, and I smell absolutely divine :-).
4. I first noticed the itchy psoriasis rash when I graduated from high school. I had been raised to think "naturally," so I did some research and decided to try LAVENDER, BERGAMOT and TEA TREE essential oils. I blended these up and applied them directly to my rash at least every night, and more as I felt led to. I still have some light pink spots, but all the raised, flaky lesions are gone for good.
5. I use your CLEANSING for my psoriasis issues, and for the most part, it just vanishes.
6. We used your DERMASOOTHE blend for my son who has the issue with the flaking in his eyebrows. We pray and apply it directly to the area twice a day. From the first application there has been no more itching or flaking! We are amazed. He comes to me twice a day asking for it. That is amazing for an autistic young man.
7. I read an article in the newspaper where a man who had been plagued with severe psoriasis found considerable relief by eating high levels of raw cilantro. I found the article online: Accidental Discovery Eases Psoriasis
8. I'm truly amazed how HELICHRYSUM BLEND has helped my son. He has had flaky skin all his life since a newborn. I had to hide his legs when we went out (and he was born in August) because of all the hurtful comments that were made about his bloody flaky skin. I didn't take him to a pediatrician for three and a half years because I was honestly afraid of being accused of child endangerment; his skin was that bad. I finally took him to our family dermatologist when he woke me in the middle of the night (he did this every single night) scratching his head. It was then that I realized his skin condition was what was interrupting his sleep (and mine!). The doctor was not alarmed by my response to his awful skin and treated him with many topical ointments and treatments. He diagnosed him with extreme psoriasis on his scalp and eczema all over his body. I purchased Helichrysum Blend for my husbands tinnitus and read that it was also noted for eczema, so I applied on the bottoms of our son's feet at bedtime. Never before has he had normal skin like he does after using this blend!! No more nasty dandruff flakes in his hair. No more 'lizard legs'. The Helichrysum Blend from Heritage Essentiail Oils is the first product to truly deal with his awful psoriasis and eczema. I am very grateful. Thank you so very much for how you've helpd our family with your oils! - Sheri H.
The choice of the process used in application of Heritage Essential Oils' products is the sole responsibility of the user.
Information and statements regarding Heritage Essential Oils' products have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any health condition or disease.
We do not make any therapeutic claims for any Dietary Supplements in accordance with the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act and FDA regulations.
Heritage Essential Oils and any of its directors, employees, representatives or those involved in blending and bottling the oils will not be liable for damages arising out of or in connection with the use of their products. This is a comprehensive limitation of liability that applies to all damages of any kind, including (without limitation) compensatory, direct, indirect or consequential damages, income or profit and claims of third parties. We disclaim any liability if the user uses or prescribes any remedy or essential oil, natural or otherwise, for him/herself or another. Please consult a licensed healthcare professional should a need be indicated.