Plant Origin: USA
Extraction Method: Steam distilled from leaves
Actual Key Constituents:
There is only one distillation of an oil to remove it from the plant material. Peppermint is sometimes further processed with fractional vacuum distillation. This is not a second distillation, but a secondary process to remove some components they feel are undesirable. Our USA Peppermint has not gone through the vacuum process. It has a crisp, clean, sweet aroma and taste, and it's use therapeutically is felt by many to be unmatched. There is a myth circulating that sweet smelling peppermint is less effective than that with a more herbal aroma. There is no scientific or practical-usage data that supports this myth.
Anti-carcinogenic, supports digestion, expels worms, decongestant, anti-infectious, antibacterial, anti-fungal, mucolytic, stimulant, hypertensive, cardiotonic, stimulates gallbladder, pain-relieving, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory for the intestinal and urinary tract. It can heighten or restore the sense of taste by stimulating the trigeminal nerve.
Arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, candida, diarrhea, digestive aid, reduces fever, food poisoning, halitosis, headaches, heartburn, hemorrhoids, hives, hot flashes, inflammation, indigestion, insect bites, menstrual irregularity, headaches, motion sickness, morning sickness, muscle aches and pains, nausea, nerve regeneration, rheumatism, sensory system, toothaches, tuberculosis, tumor growth, respiratory infections, shock, itchy skin (eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis), throat infections, and varicose veins.
Note about internal use:
If you plan to use aromatherapy to alleviate your heart problems, avoid using an excessive amount of peppermint oil. Massaging your body with a large amount of Peppermint essential oil could cause your heart pulse to increase. In some cases Peppermint oil could also increase heart palpitations. Peppermint essential oil is a potent liver detoxifier, and someone whose liver function is compromised may not be able to handle the stimulation it brings to the organ. I read online about a lady who was using Peppermint essential oil via inhalation to control nausea from liver cancer treatment. She did fine with the oil diffused, so she decided to take it orally with the assumption that it would be even more effective. Two weeks later, her liver enzymes were dangerously elevated, and her physicians were in a panic. She'd been taking about 1.5 ml daily, and neither she nor her doctors thought it might cause a problem. This emphasizes the need to use wisdom and discernment when using essential oils. They are powerfully effective, but what works for one may not be the best choice for another. We prefer to use them aromatically (inhaled or diffused) or topically (diluted in many cases) rather than internally, unless the need calls for it.
~ May reduce milk supply during lactation. If you feel that you must use Peppermint, you may want to consider using Fennel to compensate ~
Topical: Apply topically as desired for pain (avoid tender tissues) or on bottoms of feet. May need to dilute. What are "tender tissues" to avoid putting undiluted Peppermint on? Any part of your body where the application would cause more discomfort. If you have a gash in your arm, you would not feel comforted by putting undiluted Peppermint in the gash. If you tore during the birth of your baby, undiluted Peppermint would not be a good choice for the pain. It's effect is perfect for sore muscles and aching joints, but not ideal undiluted for "tender tissues."
Internal: Add to water or tea. Add to food as a flavoring and preservative.
1. I had a very painful, stiff neck. When the chiropractor showed me the x-ray, he said he’d never seen a neck that bad on someone my age (46). He said he’d expect a neck like that on a ninety-year-old woman. His treatments did not help, and it was just too painful for manipulation. A good friend suggested that I try Peppermint essential oil. I purchased some from a very respectable company so I was assured that it was a very high quality oil. I used it liberally, and it did bring relief. But I figured that it was just masking the pain. The chiropractor had not offered hope that I’d ever see much improvement, so I didn’t expect what happened. As the weeks of using Peppermint went by, I used it less and less. After six weeks, I realized that I hardly even thought to apply it. The pain had stopped triggering me to put it on. I had almost full range of movement back and virtually no pain after two months of use. Incidentally, I was nursing our 8th child at the time, and the excessive use of Peppermint did decrease my milk supply, but I didn't want to give this up, so I added a few drops of Fennel to each glass of water I drank, and my milk supply was more than adequate. – Linda
2. One evening I went out to move the chicken’s feed dish. Since it was dark, I didn’t see the fire ants that had invaded it. I reached down with both hands and picked up the dish. I guess hundreds of ants crawled onto my hands before they sent out the signal to attack me with their poisonous bites. When I came in, I told Linda what had happened, and she pulled Peppermint oil out of her pocket and poured it all over my hands, which brought a welcome relief from the pain. What amazed me was that after an hour, you could not even see one bite! Peppermint must have some chemical disposition to neutralize poison. It works well for mosquito bites and insect stings also. I think everyone should keep a bottle of Peppermint on hand. – Mark S.
3. As a nurse, I have access to an oxygen tester that we use on our patients. It clips on the end of a finger, and in a matter of seconds it reads your body's oxygen level. I tested myself the other day and got a reading of 94%, which is good and normal. I'd read reports about how Peppermint essential oil increases oxygen levels in our brains, so I put a drop of Peppermint on my tongue, and put the oxygen reader back on my finger. In less than a minute it read 99%.
4. At the first sign of any sinus issue, I put a few drops of pure Peppermint oil on my tongue and hold it for a few seconds. Yes, it's intense, like Altoid candy, but worth it! I then follow it with a few drops of Plague Defense. I haven't had any sinus issues, colds, etc. since! It is now April, and I usually get some kind of snotty ailment in January/February every year! This is the first year without anything!
5. I've been a massage therapist for 30 years and have used essential oils for 21 of those years. Your Peppermint far exceeds Young Living's and the NOW brand of Peppermint. The menthol level is incredible - unlike any Peppermint I've ever used, and it's the freshest and cleanest in aroma as well. I use it for all sorts of things including headaches, tummy aches, sore throats, muscle pain and insect bites. I believe it breaks up lactic acid, which causes muscle pain and spasms, because I notice a marked difference when I use your Peppermint on a muscle spasm and when I don't. I so appreciate you making these high quality oils available, and if you are ever out of it, I'd rather do without than to purchase elsewhere. - T.S.
6. I had poison ivy on my legs and tried NOW brand Peppermint in hopes to reduce the itchy rash. It did nothing for the itch or the spread of the rash. My sister offered for me to try her HEO Peppermint, and the itching stopped. By the next day, the rash was drying up. There's no comparison in the quality of these two brands.
7. I love the Peppermint that we just ordered. It is the most amazing Peppermint I have ever smelled. Thank you for providing quality oils at such a reasonable price. Your ministry is a blessing to many. - R. S.
8. The peppermint from Heritage Essential Oils is, by far, the best I've come across! - Katie
9. I'm using peppermint for so many things lately! I use it to cool off, soothe back pain, and decrease itchy mouth when I eat something I shouldn't. :) I bought some more at a local store the other day, thinking I could save on shipping. It smells terrible! There's no way I'm putting it on any part of me! Guess I'll be placing another order soon! - Allison
10. This past April I took a trip to Cozumel and thankfully brought along my Peppermint oil. Several of my dive buddies rubbed against some Fire Coral and got a painful rash from it. I suggested putting a few drops of my Peppermint oil on the sores. They were amazed at how quickly the pain disappeared. I had others put a drop in each nostril before diving, and they were amazed by how easily they could breathe underwater. The sinus difficulties they had mentioned to me earlier were all but gone. After each day of diving, we would meet in this damp room for presentations and such. One of my friends had a small reaction to the mildew that was present in the room; it affected his sinuses and chest. I had him put a drop of Peppermint in each nostril. No more problems during the next day of "class". I became known as the "Peppermint Man" after that excursion. No one knew when I was going to pull the bottle out. I call it "The Cure All". - Bill D.
11. Our son had a very bad, infected sore on his foot. The foot was swollen, and the sore looked like it might become a boil. It was very painful. We soaked it 3 times daily using draw salves, ointments and triple antibiotics, but nothing seemed to get it over the edge. We felt like we'd halted the infection from getting worse, but days were going by with very slow progress forward. We were about ready for the Dr. but continued to pray and ask God for wisdom, and I felt led to completely quit all former treatments and started putting Cleansing and Peppermint essential oil on every hour or so. I covered it with gauze and taped it around the edges so the sore could breathe. I couldn't believe the results. There was rapid improvement, and in a short time I only had to dress it once a day. The sore still had a scab, but I no longer kept it covered; I just applied the oils once in a while to disinfect it. I so wish I'd taken pictures; it was very ugly. Anyway, I'm sold, and the oils will be the first thing I try in the future, not a last resort! - Kristy B.
12. Sadly, recently I ate some very contaminated meat. My health care professional put me on 15 to 20 drops of Peppermint in an 8 ounce glass of water. That did flushed the poison out of my system. I continued drinking as many drops of Peppermint as I could handle. I never want to be without Peppermint. It does so many wonderful things. So remember to grab it if you are ever unfortunate enough to get that sick. My health care professional told me that if I had taken the Peppermint in water when I first felt I was really sick, I probably could have wiped it out at the beginning and avoided a lot of suffering.
13. We put a drop of Peppermint on the temples and forehead a few minutes before going somewhere, and it works every time for motion sickness. I think it helps everyone I've offered to try it.
14. Four of our eight children struggled with motion sickness. We were blessed to get a tip from our Amish friends. They advised us to hang a chain so that it slightly drags the road. This worked better than everything else we ever tried. A little Peppermint essential oil on the tongue helps some for a while, but the chain is the best tip we ever tried.
15. I'm really impressed with your Peppermint oil!! It is definitely the BEST!!! It not only smells incredible, tastes wonderful, but it works better than any peppermint I've ever used. - Lindsay
16. My Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms disappeared completely after I applied Peppermint oil over my abdomen a few times. Seriously, you can’t believe how amazing this is to me!
17. I’ve had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for a few years, and I started adding a couple drops of Peppermint to each glass of water I drank. Sipping on this throughout the day has greatly diminished my symptoms, and I no longer have the usual bloating each afternoon. Overall, I feel a lot healthier.
18. Two MDs diagnosed me with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I had extreme pain and bloating for almost a year. The MDs said it was stressed induced and put me on medication, which didn’t touch my symptoms but instead made me feel drugged all the time. A friend at work suggested I use some of her Peppermint oil. I rubbed it on my abdomen, but felt more about swallowing it. Now I use 3 drops in a capsule 3 times daily. After 3 days I the symptoms vanished and have not returned.
Heritage Essential Oil blends with Peppermint:
Dr. Hull's Mental Stimulation
Itchy Rash Spray
Migraine for Children
Regeneration for Bones and Joints
Ringworm B Gone
Avoid eye contact. In case of accidental contact, put a few drops of any pure vegetable oil in the eye. Water will not adequately dilute the oil. We’ve never known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your doctor if necessary.