Clove (Eugenia caryophyllata), Lemon (Citrus limonum), Cinnamon Bark (Cinnamon zeylanicum), Eucalyptus Radiata (Eucalyptus radiata), Rosemary ct. cineole (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Properties and Usage:
This blend of essential oils was created from historical information about a group of 15th-century thieves who rubbed oils on themselves to avoid contracting the plague while they robbed the bodies of the dead and dying. When apprehended, these thieves disclosed the formula of herbs, spices, and oils they used to protect themselves in exchange for more lenient punishment.
This blend of essential oils is high in anti-microbial properties. The oils are highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-infectious and help to protect the body against such illnesses as flu, colds, sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, sore throats, cuts, and so on.
In November of 2005, an important discovery was made: Mold, even heavy infestations of toxic mold, could be eliminated from homes and office buildings using a blend of essential oils: Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata and Rosemary. (See the studies in Dr. Edward Close's book, Nature's Mold Rx.) He recommends this model diffuser: http://heritageessentialoils.com/heritage-pro.php
Studies conducted in 1997 at Weber State University in Ogden, Utah, showed the anti-bacterial effectiveness of this blend of essential oils against airborne microorganisms. One analysis showed a 90 percent reduction in the number of gram positive Micrococcus luteus organisms after diffusing the Plague Defense blend for 12 minutes. After diffusing for a total of 20 minutes, there was a 99.3 percent reduction. Another study against the gram negative Pseudomonas aeruginosa showed a kill rate of 99.96 percent after just 12 minutes of diffusion of this blend of essential oils.
Dr. Edward Close and Jacquelyn Close documented in "over 100 case studies, verified by an independent EPA-approved environmental laboratory, have shown that organically produced concentrated plant extracts, also called essential oils, when diffused in the air, eliminate mold spores in the air and on surfaces in as little as 24 hours." MoldRx4U.com
There was an 82% reduction in Micrococcus luteus bioaerosol, a 96% reduction in Pseudomonas aeruginosa bioaerosol, and a 44% reduction in Staphylococcus aureus bioaerosol following 10 minutes of exposure to the blend of oils in Plague Defense that was diffused for a given amount of time. [View abstract]
Application Suggestions (see Essential Oil Usage):
Topical: Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to bottoms of feet. Some apply to throat, stomach and abdomen, but we caution that if you desire to apply to other parts of your body than the bottoms of feet to dilute a lot and test on a small area to see if there is any reaction such as skin irritation. Plague Defense is safest when applied to the bottom of the feet, as it may irritate sensitive skin. It is recommended to dilute with a massage oil like Jojoba or Coconut. (See more safety info below for use on children or during pregnancy.) If skin irritation results, dilute immediately with more carrier oil to cut the effect (not water).
Internal: The oils in Plague Defense are suitable for internal use within safe parameters. Click here for information about internal usage. For headaches put one drop on tongue and hold tongue against the roof of the mouth. For a sore throat, one drop in a glass (never put essential oils in plastic) with enough water to gargle has been known to eradicate the soreness.
Frequency: Approximately 150 MHz.
1. Twice now I’ve had a very painful sore throat come on suddenly. I put couple drops of Plague Defense in a glass and added just enough water to gargle. After gargling, I swallowed it. Instantly the painful sore throat disappeared. I figured the oil had just numbed it, but I never had another inkling of soreness. – L.S.
2. I love to diffuse this oil – smells like Christmas. My guests think my house smells wonderful and all the while I’m protecting myself from all the germs they bring in. This is the best blend of this kind that I’ve ever tried. – Snowbird
3. My son took the Plague Defense back to A and M, and he and his roommate used up the whole bottle. He and his home-schooled roommate, both of whom seem very susceptible to every virus on campus, have remained virus-free for two weeks now. It was an experiment on their part, but that is the first time all year my son has not been puny with something viral. So, I will need to order some more soon! - M.B.
4. I had strep throat last week and applied Plague Defense topically on the bumps in the back of my throat. Within 4 days it was gone! I was not in anymore pain and the bumps diminished to nothing. Amazing! - K.C.
5. My daughter was dealing with molars coming in and was just miserable. I put Plague Defense on her gums, and she cheered up, drooled less and seemed to get back to her old self. We also use Mom's Remedy (full strength to diffuse and diluted for topical use) for fevers and runny noses associated with teething. - A.N.
6. I've had splinters come out of both children's feet by applying Plague Defense - found this out by accident because I always rub their feet with Plague Defense and they both happened to have splinters from playing on the deck at the beach house. - Mindy
7. My married son had an abscessed tooth, and the dentist said he would have to have a root canal done. Knowing how bad root canals are, he called me to see what I'd suggest him to do, and I suggested that he apply Plague Defense on the gum next to the tooth and diluted on the jaw. He put some drops on a cotton ball and packed it next to the tooth. The infection cleared up but then erupted again, and this cycle happened at least three times. Each time he'd start the protocol again. I read about your Enhance Tooth Suds, and why the Birch was added, so I suggested that he use the Plague Defense and then apply Birch to help drive it in. This worked! The infection was resolved and his tooth is fine.
8. My kindergarten son came home yesterday with glass eyes, fever and complaining of sore throat. I immediately rubbed his feet with Plague Defense. He slept on the couch, and then we put him to bed. There, I rubbed his feet again with straight PD. I combined coconut oil and PD and rubbed his torso down, focusing on his spine. He is 100% better this a.m.! - Brandee
9. My 7 Year old got strep, and instead of using antibiotics, I used Plague defense as suggested and Warrior! I Love theses Essential oils! - Aresha
10. My niece got her Plague Defense yesterday - Just in the nick of time. Her son came home from school with a stomach virus and vomiting. She put it on the on the soles of his feet. He fell asleep and slept all night. This morning he is not vomiting and is able to keep dry crackers down. Praise God. Now, everyone gets Plague Defense on the soles of their feet to protect them. I have had good results with Plague Defense also. I works overnight and will break a fever overnight too. Much better than using antibiotics. - Diane
11. I've been using your Plague Defense blend and really like it. I have three boys, age 4, 3, and 1 and the older two beg for me to diffuse it or rub it on them ;) My youngest one was diagnosed with Infant Leukemia at 8 months old and has been undergoing treatment for almost the past year. We are doing everything we can to naturally boost our immune systems and keep germs at bay. Since using the Plague Defense, we haven't been sick! I also take it with me to the hospital when he has to stay every night (since we all know just how germy the hospital is!). I've have received MANY questions and positive remarks regarding the wonderful scent. One nurse even said, "I love coming into your room. It's so relaxing!." Thank you!!! I've used several other of your oils and blends as well for him/us. So far we've enjoyed them all! - Amy H.
12. I received the package last week, and have been enjoying the Plague Defense using the new diffuser. Thank you so much for keeping the quality of your products high! - Nancy
13. I received my first order last week and can't tell you how much fun I've had experimenting with different oils in the diffuser! In fact, my husband came home Saturday with symptoms that sounded like the beginning of the flu strain people in our area have been experiencing - extreme fatigue, light sensitivity, painful eyes, etc. I applied Plague Defense and shut him up in a room with it diffusing as well. Several hours later, he came out a new man! - Tami R.
14. Our 6-year-old son with Down Syndrome has a lot of respiratory issues. He woke up with a nasty barking cough and running a fever that came out of no where two nights ago. Typically, when he gets sick it turns bad quickly. I put Plague Defense on his feet and Respiratory Relief on his chest and back. In the morning his fever was gone, and his cough was sounding better. For the last two days, I've been reapplying the oils, alternating what goes on his feet, chest and back between Lung Healing, Plague Defense and Respiratory Relief. Today, he has no cough, the fever never came back and he's feeling better. Without the oils, today he'd be in really bad shape. Thank you HEO for helping me keep our son well. - Alysha
15. My 4 year-old was recently hit very hard with the stomach virus. I immediately put a drop of Plague Defense under everyone's tongue, but somehow my oldest was overlooked. So far, he is the only other person in the house to have gotten sick, and it's been a week since he was hit! We'll definitely be keeping this on hand! - Millicent
16. I've been using Plague Defense on my daughter for the last 2 nights for her cough and also Lavender oil to help her sleep. I am so pleased to say it is working. I don't think she has ever slept so well. :D Thank you so much for what you do! - Cece
17. I am ecstatic over your oils! One of my daughters had a sore throat and started getting stuffed up with a headache. She usually ends up with double ear infections and strep throat. I was determined not to put her on antibiotics again so soon, as it has been only 45 days since the last episode. For two days I gave her Top Gun via capsules. I put your Ear Infection blend on cotton balls in her ears for two nights. I diffused Plague Defense. Wow! This knocked it out and conquered it! I used Peppermint for her headache on her tongue. She didn't like it very well, as it was too hot for her, but she did realize that it helped her head. By the forth day she had fully recovered. We also used Plague Defense for Hubby's stress headache. A drop on the tongue and let it rest on the roof of the mouth. Headache gone!! - Lynn
18. I am a newbie essential oil user. But I am loving my Plague Defense! I had read where someone used it for a gargle then swallowed it for a sore throat. I tried it on day one of our symptoms. It worked! I've only had one day of that sore throat, and only about 3 days of very mild cold symptoms. I am taking about 6-10 drops 2x daily. - Mandy W.
19. I started using Plague Defense and occasionally Tooth Suds for my daughter's canker sores. It is amazing! She had them all the time. The Peds Dr or her dentist's advice did not work for 4+ years. We tried everything but steroids. She ALWAYS had at least one that lasted for a week or more. They were very painful for her and sometimes she didn't want to eat! She started using Plague Defense, and they were gone in 2 days and haven't been back. Its been about 16 weeks. She puts 1 drop on her finger then in her mouth before bed a few times each week. She's even had a sinus infection with no canker sores. (Usually when she's sick they are worse) WE LOVE Plague Defense! Absolutely love it. - Connie P.
20. Our baby has been miserable with teething, so the other day I diluted 1 drop Plague Defense to 30 drops virgin coconut oil. I gently warmed the coconut oil until liquid, and it returned to solid after I mixed in the Plague Defense. I store this in a glass baby food jar. When he fusses and seems uncomfortable, I dab a little of the mix on my finger and apply it to his gums. He seems to like it and calms down immediately. I did this multiple times daily, with great results every time. It worked very well applied just before nap and bedtime to help him sleep peacefully. - Katie
21. Five months ago I developed two very large boils on one leg that turned into a need for surgery, which turned into two, golf ball size holes in my leg and hospitalization for four days. It was an awful few months as I had to have wound care etc. Since then I have had about 8-10 boils try to start up on my legs... I'm not sure what is causing them, but I do know that if I rub Tea Tree Oil and Plague Defense on the boils 3-5 times per day, within a few days they will begin to dry up on their own. I'm very grateful. I would much rather rub oils on the things than have surgery again or wound care again. Thank you for walking this path and for making oils affordable. I am very grateful as they have become part of our family routine on a daily basis. I especially love the fact that my five year old will come to me if she gets a mosquito bite or if her tummy doesn't feel well, and tell me she needs 'essential oils'... LOVE IT! - Tina P.
22. I'm loving Plague Defense! I think it has taken me out of the viscous cycle I've been in of getting over a sinus infection or cold and then immediately getting another one. I'm looking forward to trying more of your products! - Shelly M.
23. Recently I had come down with a bad cold and cough. Normally when this happens I have coughing fits at night and cannot get a decent amount of sleep. Usually I grab a cough drop and don't experience the fits any longer throughout the night, but this time was different. I could not stop coughing, and I got up to grab a could drop and laid down again. It did not help! I decided to try my Plague Defense for my cough. I tilted my head back and tried to get a couple drops in there. Well, I may have gotten more than I wanted, but my cough was GONE!!! I did not cough the whole night! I will always be using this now for my cough, among all the other many uses! Thank you once again!:) - Stephanie H.
24. I had emailed with HEO when my daughter got strep. She ended up on antibiotics sadly, because I didn't have the proper oils on hand:( Problem fixed! When I came down with a severe sore throat and very ill, hubby squirted Plague Defense in my throat 3x a day for a couple days, and the sore throat disappeared! This is the first non-antibiotic success I've ever had with strep!!! Thanks!! - Dana
25. Plague Defense is the best thing. I got rid of strep 3x in just a few months 2 years ago. I treated it with Plague Defense each time. Here's the kicker tho... Since then, we've been exposed to strep numerous times and not once have I gotten it. That's a biggie for me! - Lori
26. I want to share about Plague Defense. We live in a moldy house. It's a long process to clean the mold which released spores all over, into the carpeting and the furniture and what all else. I've been diffusing Plague Defense and also using it (a drop under my tongue, on my feet or as a gargle) on myself whenever I felt a virus coming on. With my allergies (yep allergic to the mold, pollen and dust), I get sick often, especially in the winter. This past winter I did not catch one cold or flu virus. A few times I awoke feeling like I was coming down with something and used the Plague Defense to beat that sick feeling down. I'm working with other oils to treat the allergies, but I tell all my friends about Plague Defense when they complain of being sick. - Tammy
27. I've had bouts with Helicobacter pylori three times. This last time I started taking antibiotics again and remembered that my sister told me she was treating everything with essential oils, so I gave her call. She suggested that I take Plague Defense blend in the capsule 2X daily and drink plenty of pure water with it. I did not dilute it, but she said if it cause any stomach upset, then I should dilute it with a cooking oil. I felt a ton better within 12 hours, and was 'recovered' at the end of the 3rd day.
[HEO added: A concentration of just 0.002% Manuka or 0.004% Cinnamon Bark essential oils can wipe out several strains of Helicobacter pylori. Resistance of Helicobacter Pylori to Lemongrass did not develop even after 10 sequential passages, whereas resistance to clarithromycin developed under the same conditions. [T. Ohno, PhD, Kyoto Prefetural University of Medicine, Japan] ]
28. I am usually sick all winter, but this past winter I did not catch a cold. Whenever I felt one coming on I started using the Plague Defense. It tastes better than any other oil I've used for the purpose, and it can make a really good toothpaste as well. - Tammy
29. I love Plague Defense just for the taste alone, but it definitely wards off all the yucky stuff mentioned above. - Leann
30. I started feeling tired, congested and my body started aching. I thought I was getting a cold. So I use Plague defense on my feet, put on socks, put couple drops on my hands and inhaled. Then I took a nap. When I woke up, I felt rested and my symptoms were gone. I was pleasantly surprised because I really thought I was going to get sick. I love my Plague Defense!!! - Deida
31. Plague Defense is amazing! I was feeling the onset of a cold after traveling from Hawaii to Atlanta on two different planes last weekend. I was going to accept the inevitable until my sister gave me her Plague Defense, and I rubbed it on my feet before I fell asleep. When I woke up, not only was I not congested NOR jet lagged, I felt great!! Do you guys ship to Hawaii? Because I'm going to need some more for the shift in winds soon; I want to avoid that seasonal cold. - Megan
32. My family used to be sick constantly, and I do mean constantly. I read about Plague Defense and decided to give it a go. So glad! I've been diffusing it for four months now (at minimum - I do it when my three older boys get home from school), and we've had very few illnesses in our house (mostly just twinges, but then they are gone). In fact, a month in I had a sore throat and couldn't sleep. I gargled with a bit of water and 2 drops of oil (and then swallowed). My throat was instantly soothed and I was able to sleep. When I woke up, it was still there, so I did it again, and the pain was gone immediately and did not come back! Then, about a month ago, the school nurse called and said my kindergartener had come down with the stomach virus that had most of the K-kids out for an entire week. I brought him home and put him to bed, diffusing Plague Defense in his room as he slept. He woke up three hours later completely fine. I called the nurse and told her, and she was amazed. She even said that if no symptoms returned he could come back the next day (he went)! My toddler then threw up once that evening, and so I diffused in his room that night and he woke up fine too. No one else caught it. I've also given it to friends who were visiting and brought a cold along with them. They were all instantly better and couldn't believe it. :) - Jocelyn
33. Poison Ivy got me with a vengeance and went systemic. Even though I knew about the oils I went the doctor route (after doing over-the-counter stuff). Prescriptions for this are very expensive! After about $200 and no success, it dawned on me to try the oils. I used Plague Defense simply because it is my favorite blend. The poison ivy dried up in just a couple of days.
34. My hubby was really coming down with something yucky earlier this week - just dragging and feeling that "sick" feeling - so I rubbed his feet with a combination of Plague Defense and Peppermint (for better smell - and headache relief) and he went to bed early. The next morning, we was almost good as new! I'm a believer!!!! - Barb
35. I LOVE HEO Plague Defense--it smells so good and everyone in my house is enjoying using it…which is great, since the kids are sick with less than a week to go on our 5th pregnancy! I used to "mix" my own with singles and/or purchase YL, but I am much happier with Linda's blend!!! - Christy
36. I have a friend who is having mold issues in her house and she is having a reaction to it. I took my diffuser and Plague Defense to her house yesterday. When I called today, she said she is feeling MUCH better - less brain fog, less coughing, etc. She is SOLD on essential oils and asked for a link to your website. Thank you!!! - Tonya
37. I swapped Plague Defense and Warrior on my kid's feet when they contracted Fifth's Disease this winter. They are 8 ? 10. It went rampant through their elementary school, and my kids never had any other symptoms (such as aches, fevers), and the duration was much shorter than most other children I know. - Tania
38. We have a very bad on going issue with mold. What we were told by the mold expert is that mold can not be killed by bleach. Bleach only bleaches the color. He said to use whatever household cleaner or homemade solution or just soap and water and wipe the mold away. Any mold that cannot be wiped away, or comes back in the same spot, means that the mold is coming from inside the wall board and the wall board must be removed. It means the mold is behind the wall. Most bathroom mold is from condensation on the walls, so it should wipe off. I diffuse Plague Defense in my moldy house as we remediate the moldy attic, bathroom, carpeting, etc. I feel it does help to keep the Plague Defense in the air, and I notice the difference if I keep the diffuser off. Plus, since I diffuse it every four hours around the clock, we have fewer colds. - Tammy
39. I just have to say: I have been fighting something off for the last couple of days. This morning I thought I was losing the battle. My throat, in particular, was raging. It was painful, swollen, scratchy, and I was losing my voice. Then the doorbell rang. My very first shipment of oils was delivered (I am a total newbie, and a skeptical one, at that.). I immediately sampled my Plague Defense, and I CANNOT BELIEVE IT. Within 15 mins ALL of my sick symptoms were gone. ALL. OF. THEM. Is this for real?! - Rachelle
40. For about the past 4 winters I came to expect a throat and sinus infection that puts me in complete misery for at least 3 weeks. I'm not sure what it is, because I've never been to the doctor for it (I think it could be tonsillitis), but my throat becomes excruciatingly sore, and I cough until I have no strength or voice left. I lose sleep because I can't breathe properly (and the coughing keeps me up), I go through boxes of tissues, my head throbs and sometimes it leaves me in tears. It's just completely awful, and it takes weeks to run its full course. I had tried every natural remedy I could think of, but eventually I got to the point where when I began to feel that soreness in my throat, I just surrendered to it and accepted my miserable fate for the next 3 weeks. Enter Plague Defense. I ordered some last summer. This past October, right on schedule, the infection feeling in my throat showed up. I started taking Plague Defense IMMEDIATELY. I wasn't going to fool around, so I took it frequently (probably more often than I needed to). The infection feeling never elevated to more than a sore throat and went away after about 3 days. After what I've been through every year, for me this is nothing short of a MIRACLE. It's now mid-April, and I have not even had so much as a head cold ALL SEASON LONG. My husband and I live at a small monastic-style seminary where the community worships, eats and studies together every day. Everyone here (the students AND their families) has been sick at least once this winter except for me, and my husband has had one 2-day mild cold. I have shared my bottle of Plague Defense with a few other members of the community, and it has worked for them as well! I will never be without Plague Defense! In case anyone wonders, I usually take it by licking 1 drop off the back of my hand about every 3 or 4 hours until symptoms disappear. I also put it in a homemade breath spray that I use frequently every day, so I'm sure that has also contributed to warding off the bad bugs I encounter by daily living in a small community. Thank you, thank you, thank you Heritage for Plague Defense! - Hannah
Cinnamon should be used with caution and in greater dilution for children. May be sensitizing due to aldehydes.
See "safety" on the Cinnamon Bark detail page for more detailed information.
See "safety" on the Clove detail page for more detailed information.
Cinnamon is on the “avoid” if pregnant list. Not recommended for use in cases of hemophilia or severe kidney or liver disease.
May be irritating to those with sensitive skin. If skin irritation results, dilute immediately with more carrier oil to cut the effect. Avoid eye contact. In case of accidental contact, put a few drops of any pure vegetable oil in the eye. Water will not adequately dilute the oil. We’ve never known this to cause permanent injury or long-term discomfort, but if you feel concerned, please call your doctor if necessary.